Re: Cygwin 1.1.0 gdb troubles

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 01:44:53PM -0400, Christopher Jones wrote:
>>The main reason for cygwin pids is that there is no corresponding
>>exec*() style interface in Win32 land.  Most programs which use
>>fork/exec also rely on the fact that the exec'ed process has the same
>>PID as the fork.  There is no way to do this using the Win32 API.
>
>Thanks for the explanation Chris.  It had been a while since I dealt
>with fork/exec and I'd forgotten how much they rely on a certain PID
>behavior.  So the only other way to go would be to assign win32
>processes cygwin pids which would probably lead to more yuckiness; and
>maybe there is not a way to muck with the internals of windows such
>that cygwin is always resident and receiving notification of new win32
>process/thread creation.  Ick.  Oh well.  :)

I believe that it is possible to wedge cygwin into the process creation
part of Windows NT, at least, but, I dunno... it just seems wrong.

I've been trying hard, since I first started working on cygwin three
years ago, to come up with some way to get rid of the artificial pids,
but so far, I haven't thought of anything.

That's why I'll be so interested in hearing about Paul Sokolovsky's
breakthrough.

cgf