Why is keypad "5" key suppressed?

My previous question may have been misleading as a personal reply showed.

I am speaking of the middle key of the right keypad (labelled "5") in
function key mode (also known as keypad mode with vt100 emulation).
So that's without MumLock.
The key should definitely deliver an escape sequence. Instead its usage
seems to be obstructed by cygwin.dll - nothing is passed to the application.
I'd appreciate an answer to the question: how can that key be enabled?

Kind regards,
Thomas Wolff