Re: ld problems

--- Kirth <kirth@hole.org> wrote:
> unfortuanlty the same thing
>
> g++   -o ffind config.o sql.o query.o parseword.o ffind.o
> -L/usr/local/lib/mysql
>   -lmysqlclient

/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i586-cygwin32/2.95.2/../../../../i5
> 86-cygwin32/bin/ld: cannot open -lmysqlclient: No such file or directory
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [ffind] Error 1
>
> ive even tried with -L./ and put the file in the same dir
> ive renamed it mysqlclient, mysqlclient.so, mysqlclient.a ... all
> fail.

The library file name must be libmysqlclient.a for the -l switch to work.
Another option is to just list the library file on the command line like this:

g++ -o ffind config.o sql.o query.o parseword.o ffind.o \
  /usr/local/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.a

The GCC will recognize the library and use it properly.

> i read something in the mailing list about removing collect2
> so that ld gets run directly, but i dont have a collect2 file (at all)

The collect2 problem isn't your problem here.  That has to do with seeing the
output from ld which you're seeing.  And yes you have it, you'll find it under
the lib/gcc-lib subdirectories.  To get the exact location you can gcc
--print-file-name=specs and the directory in which the specs file is the same
directory that the collect2 program is located.

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__