Re: problem in C++ pointer

>I just wonder what is the different between the original code
>(using a single "cout", see test.cc attached) and new code
>(use another cout to print ++X[0], above).

The difference is that there is definitely a "sequence point" at every
semicolon. The effects of code to the left of a semicolon are guaranteed to
be visible before the effects of code to the right of the same semicolon.

int i, j, k;
    F(j = i++, k = i++);
is undefined, the parameters can be evaluated in any order even sort of
simultaneously, whereas
    j = i++;
    k = i++;
    F(j, k);
and
    k = i++;
    j = i++;
    F(j, k);

are defined. The first line must be completely executed before the second
line.

>    Actually, I tried the original program many time on my PC
>running Cygnus. To remove external factor, I close all other
>program after a re-boot.

I got the same behavior as you, with 2.95.2 to as well. I tried reading the
assembly (gcc -s x.cpp, then look at the file x.s) but it didn't include
commented out C++ source so was too hard to follow.

 - Jay