Re: File permissions on Network Drives

James Grishaw wrote:

> Dear Cygnus,
>
>      Are chmod and umask expected to work on a network drive?
>
>      I have my CYGWIN variable set to "ntea ntsec" and all permissions
> appear to work just like UNIX.  However, file permissions do NOT appear
> to work with a network drive on a UNIX server.
> [...]

ntea is only a trick to simulate permission bits on NTFS partitions,
so they are not supported on other drive types. If you use ntsec,
you don't have to use ntea. It does only result in less usable disk
space.

If the network drive is a NTFS partition, ntsec will work. The
security is implemented using NT security API calls which are
definitely neither supported by FAT and FAT32 and AFAIK nor by
SAMBA or any NFS driver.

>      I am running Cygwin v1.0 under WinNT SP3.

You should update to at least SP5. SP3 has still many Y2K bugs.

Regards,
Corinna