Compile Win MFC C++ Code Questions

First - I am a newbie programming in the C++ language but have been trying to
learn.  I have managed to put a few things together using cygwin-b20 and
mingw and I have also been using the VIDE Development environment along with
the VGUI libs that are available as well.   I found some code in Windows
Developers Journal for a Tabbed Document interface which is supposed to be an
expansion on the SDI and MDI interface common to Microsoft and I wanted to
give it a try.   I loaded it into my Vide Editor and tried to compile it.
After first working out a few makefile glitches it finally burped telling me
some requested headers were not found like afxwin.h and afxext.h.  Sure
enough a search of my system revealed no header files by those names and a
wealth of others.

Is compiling this even possible since it was really designed for Windows MFC
and Microsoft Visual C++, or do I possibly have some includes or libs not
included that should be.  As I said I am a newbie so even my compiler and
linker knowledge is real slim.

Any information or questions to point me in the right direction would be
greatly appreciated.

Brian Keener
bkeener@thesoftwaresource.com
75462.747@compuserve.com