Re: Cygwin on a Share...?

Actually this is exactly how I have things setup in our office, with the
added evil that Cygwin actually resides on a Unix server and we access it
through Samba.  Actually this works very well.  I have a Unix script that
creates links in everyones home directory for usr and etc that point to
where they are stored (so that when the drive is mapped f:\usr is always
\usr).  Then you just need to set the path ( which I actually do among other
things with the .BAT file that follows this message).  The nice thing about
this setup is the user's tcsh/bash setup is identical whether they are on an
NT, Solaris, or HP.  The only real performance issue is from the 'stat'
issues which cause 'ls -l' to be painfully slow on the Samba drive (I use
the Microsoft ls.exe instead).

This would actually be quite a bit easier if your case, really you just need
to add the /usr and /etc locations to the path.  Here's a step by step:
1.  Make a directory somewhere on the network, say \\mydomain\mydir\cygwin.
2.  Make the directories usr and etc.
3.  Copy the needed files to usr and etc (usr of course has /usr/local/bin
/usr/local/lib etc)
4.  Map \\mydomain\mydir to a drive letter, say f:\
5.  Add f:\mydir\cygwin\usr\local\bin to the path in the control panel(nt)
or autoexec(9x)
6.  Start bash
7.  mount f:/mydir/cygwin/usr /usr
8.  mount f:/mydir/cygwin/etc /etc
9.  exit bash and restart
10. you are done!
You may also consider setting stuff like 'home' to whatever you want, and it
is nice to mount something reasonable to '/' but this should get you
started..

Good luck,
Chris Nappi
----- setup.bat --------
rem figure out where we are and map the samba drive
if "%USERDOMAIN%"=="CSIC" %SystemRoot%\system32\net use F: \\samba\%1
/PERSISTENT:YES
if "%USERDOMAIN%"=="MMD" %SystemRoot%\system32\net use F: \\samba\%1
/PERSISTENT:YES
if "%USERDOMAIN%"=="FMONT" %SystemRoot%\system32\net use F: \\rastenn\%1
/PERSISTENT:YES
rem import registry settings containing the mount points and cygwin
variables
rem f:\usr is mounted to /usr, f:\etc is mapped to /etc and f:\root is
mounted to /
rem meanwhile in the other dimension ~/usr is a symbolic link to
/somedrive/somedir/cygwin/usr
rem ~/etc is a symbolic link to /somedrive/somedir/cygwin/etc, and ~/root is
a link to /
rem this makes things on NT look like they do on Solaris/HP to the user.
f:\usr\local\bin\cygsetup.reg
f:\usr\local\bin\setenv -u Path %Path%;f:\usr\local\bin
f:\usr\local\bin\setenv -u home f:\
rem make a link on the desktop, this calls rxvt with the neccessary options.
copy f:\usr\local\bin\xterm.lnk %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
set Path=%Path%;f:\usr\local\bin
set home=f:\
xterm.lnk

--- "Masterson, David" <David.Masterson@kla-tencor.com> wrote:
> Has anyone setup Cygwin so that it resides on an NT share that all NT's in
> their domain can access and use it from?  By this, I mean that Cygwin
would
> physically reside on and run from this central NT rather than having
> everyone download and (possibly wrongly) install Cygwin on their local
> systems.  This is the NFS model from UNIX and makes things much easier to
> administer and upgrade.   Anyone have a step-by-step?

This should work; but, would be slow for anything serious.  Each
workstation/user would have it's own copy of the mounted directories so you
should export a registry to be uploaded on the client machines.

Let us know how it goes.

Good Luck,

=====
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>