MSVC dll

Happy new year to all of you.

I have built a .dll using VC++ 5.0, and I want to use that library with the
other libraries I have already ported using Cygwin. I need to create a .a
that will link to the dll. How do I do that with a visual studio dll?
I have using the pexorts utility found at
http://www.acc.umu.se/~anorland/gnu-win32/index.html
but the .def file I get has a lot of junk in it... Things like
??0?$ACE_Guard@V?$ACE_Select_Reactor_Token_T@VACE_Noop_Token@@@@@@QAE@AAV?$A
CE_Select_Reactor_Token_T@VACE_Noop_Token@@@@@Z

Furthermore, if I manage to create a clean .def file, what do I have to do
to create the .a from that?
Do I just use dllwrap?

Thanks a lot
Mike