ACE under cygwin

Happy new year to all of you!

The software I am porting is using ACE so that to be easy to port but I have
run into some problems and I was wondering whether anyone could help me. The
problem is that if I compile the Ace libraries under Visual C++, and then
create a .a from the .dll then when my program includes the various Ace
header files, it tries to include winsock header files which off course it
can't. I have tried to compile ACE with Cygwin, using Sun-Os-g++ and other
files as base config.h files, without any luck.
If you have any idea how to use Ace with Cygwin I would be more than
grateful if you could mail me. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Rgds,
Mike