Re: Cygwin upgrade hassles

--- Paul Bailey <pmbailey@senet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi.

Hi Paul,

> I'm a Win98 user (and unfamiliar with Unix).  I wanted to download a free C
> compiler, so I went to gnu.org, and clicked the links in the GCC Webpages.
> Eventually I found myself at cygnus.com.  Hey, what's this?  A C compiler,
> C++ compiler and Unix emulation all in one?  Hey, cool.  What a bargain!
>
> I downloaded the Cygwin B20 binary and subsequently installed it.  No
> problems.  Working through the user guide and FAQ, I set up the directory
> structure as described.  No problems.  Time to upgrade to B20.1 as per the
> frequent suggestions throughout the Web site.
>
> Problems!
>
> The upgrade instructions read:
>
> "...download the file
> `ftp://go.cygnus.com/pub/sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/cygwin-b20/cygwin1-20.
> 1.dll.bz2',"

Umm.  The FULL.EXE is b20.1.

> OK.  Done.
>
> "decompress it with bunzip2,"
>
> OK.  Done.
>
> "and then install the dll, replacing the file
> cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/cygwin1.dll in your original installation of
> 20.0."
>
> This is where I'm running into problems.  I copied the .dll into the
> directory, and ran Cygnus.  No problems.  I exited Cygnus and killed off
> cygwin1.dll, then started Cygnus again.  Error!  Woudln't run.  It required
> the cygwin1.dll to run, but the instructions said to replace it!  How do I
> do that?

I'm not sure exactly what you've accomplished but to replace a file on Win32
you must not have the file open.  Therefore, you can't use Cygwin to replace
the cygwin1.dll.

> I don't get it.  What's the process to "install the dll", and how do I
> replace cygwin1.dll with that file?  None of this is very clear to me.
> (Unix:  it's Latin for "through a glass, darkly".)

And combine the two and the glass is even darker.

> Additionally, the instructions further state:
>
> "To install the full 20.1 release, you will need to download the correct
> installer from scratch."
>
> Umm ... what's the "correct" installer?  Didn't I just download that?

What instructions are you reading?  Perhaps the instructions are old and need
rewritten.

> There's no filename mentioned here.  And there's no file in the FTP file
> list with anything like "correct" or "install" in its name.  A clue, anyone?
> (Unix:  it's Latin for "let's play detective".)
>
> Yeah, umm, I think I'm lost here!  (Unix:  it's Latin for "I need a map
> about now".)

See my webpage for some newbie help, URL posted in the .sig.

> So I kept reading and trying to ignore my "lost-ness".  I found this:
>
> "We have diff files on the ftp site that can be used to upgrade the original
> B20.0 sources."

Only if you're a Cygwin developer.  Which is needed if you want to help.

> OK, they're listed amongst the files on the FTP server.  Are these one of
> the "correct installers" or what?  I'm not sure if they're source code
> patches, or if they upgrade the binary directly.  If it's the source code,
> that means I'll also have to download Cygnus B20.0 source code -- I only got
> the binary -- and then compile it.  Never having done that before (hey,
> Windows, y'know?), I don't really know what that procedure entails.
>
> If I'd had Unix on my machine previously and had compiled some small apps
> from source code before, I might feel more comfortable tackling this.  Well,
> at least I'd know what I was supposed to do!  But the first thing I'm
> instructed to do after installing Cygwin -- which gives me Unix on my
> machine, for all purposes -- is to download the source and compile the whole
> thing operating system from scratch!  (Unix:  it's Latin for "guesswork".)

Typically, at least for well constructed projects, all that is required to
rebuild is `./configure' and `make'.

> Does anyone out there have the patience to help me out here?  It's been over
> *three days* of tackling this upgrade process, and I'm still ... confounded.

Please do read my webpages.  And to answer your question on paging, `diff
--help | less' will page the output for you.  BTW, it would help to understand
UNIX before using Cygwin; but, it is possible to learn Cygwin without knowing
UNIX.

Best Wishes,

=====
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>