termio from vc++ console app

I have a Console Application created with Visual C++, and want to run it in
a bash window.
When the application is run (see code below), printf works fine, but
isatty(fileno(stdin)) returns 0 (no terminal attached)

Is there any way to do this??

//
// Example code...
//
#include "stdafx.h"
#include <stdio.h>
#include <io.h>

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
int i;
i = _isatty(_fileno(stdin));
printf("isatty returned: %d\n", i);
return 0;
}

I also tried creating the same application using the MKS NutCracker suite
(that application had ioctl) calls.
This application also fails (and the ioctl calls failed with "Invalid
Argument").

(A gut feeling - would compiling bash using VC++ solve the problem -
gulp!!).
Regards,
Ian Collins