Multiple .dll refs from one .a? (libvfw32)

Has anyone actually successfully run a program that
links with cygwin's libvfw32.a (that's Video for
Windows)?  Specifically, the VFW32.LIB from MS's
Win32 SDK actually refers to functions available in
3 separate .DLL's, none of which is actually named
VFW32.DLL.  So linking works fine, but when run,
my program (a port from MSVC) complains that it can't
find VFW32.DLL. (In fact, no such .DLL exists afaik).
The 3 actual .DLL's are MSVFW32.DLL, AVIFIL32.DLL,
and AVICAP32.DLL.

So, I've tried creating my own libvfw32.a.  I made
3 separate .a files with dlltool (one for each .dll)
using hand-edited .def files (modified from the
output of:

dumpbin /ALL vfw32.lib | grep -A1 "DLL name"

I then ar them together and run ranlib on the
combined .a file.  But I get an error when trying
to link against this.  It says there's no index
and that I should run ranlib.  Like I said,
I ran it.

Anyhow, I think I should be able to just link against
the separate .a files.  But, is there any way to
actually make a working file that does what
libvfw32.a "wants" to do?

Thanks,
Mike White
mypalmike@hotmail.com

p.s. About the objc "#define interface struct" problem.
It's a MS COM convention intended to provide a single word
that both C and C++ can use to declare a COM interface.
It would clearly be a problem for any objc compiler which
includes windows headers with COM support.  Why not
wrap it in #ifndef __OBJC__ (or whatever) in the header
and submit it as a patch?