RE: Configure not finding autoconf & automake

Here is what autoconf looks like when I run it:
/:autoconf --version
: not found
: not found
: not found
: not found
: not found
: not found
/usr/local/bin/autoconf: 41: Syntax error: expecting "in"

Here is what the configure script does:
/:if (autoconf --version) < /dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1; then
> echo I have it
> else
> echo I dont
> fi
I dont
/:

Are there environment variables needed for autoconf to work correctly?

-Steve Bloomfield