Re: windres and CONTROL object

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 1999 at 05:53:59PM -0500, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
> >I'll do perl.  Does the build need to be built using Cygwin v1.0 or
> >using the latest development snapshots?  This is an important question
> >because perl has lots of libraries, .a and .dll.  Which
> >compiler/version?  Should perl be built with libcrypt or without?
>
> Actually, I was just going to confine the net release to whatever has
> been in a normal release in the past, i.e., no perl.  DJ and I have been
> talking about doing a major reorg of the web/ftp site to accomodate
> external packages more easily but it will require human bandwidth.

Oh. Okay.

> As far as "built using Cygwin v1.0 or using the latest development
> snapshots" is concerned, I'm not sure precisely what you mean.  If you
> are not releasing libraries or object files, it doesn't matter what
> version of cygwin you use as long as the cygwin DLL is named
> cygwin1.dll.

Well, I do release libraries (and support files): "libperl.a"
"libperls.a" "libperl.dll" "libperl.def". Plus, all the modules are
.dll's.

I know that perl.exe will work with whatever cygwin1.dll, be it b20.1's,
v1.0's, or b21's. EXE's are backward compatible, as long as the cygwin
DLL is "cygwin1.dll".

I *believe* that all the dll's will also be okay. DLL's are really just
EXE's with some extra stuff -- or so I've been told.

However, it has been stated repeatedly that (static?) libraries and
object files are NOT backward compatible. I'm not distributing any .o's,
but those two static libraries are a concern: libperl.a and libperls.a.
Now, it is possible that I don't need to distribute these two files;
that would solve the problem in the simplest way possible. However, I
seem to remember difficulty compiling modules without them, but I
haven't tried that recently.

> The preference would be, of course, that you use the
> latest cygwin stub library and latest DLL, however.

Okay.

--Chuck