Re: Shared Libraries

> I've been told that shared libraries under unix can be built with unresolved
> externals. Thus, if I were to build a shared library with gcc under a
> unix/cygwin system, I would not need a stub library file containing the
> routines that I call within my library.

> The vendor have me a header file and a Win32 library file (.lib) and nothing
> else. The vendor states that under UNIX, no lib is needed. I can't figure
> out how to correctly link my shared library as gcc under cygwin still
> returns an "unresolved reference error".

> I have a vendor-provided header (vendor.h) defining some structures and
> functions. I compile my program like so:

> 	gcc -c my_module.c -o my_module.o
> 	gcc -shared -o my_module.so my_module.o

> I then get an "unresolved reference" error for each function defined in
> vendor.h that I call in my_module.c.

> Thanks (in advance) a MILLION for any help!

	Under windows, all shared libraries need ALL symbols resolved
	at link time, so you'll need to link in the .lib you got
	from you're vender.  Also, I don't think cygwin support
	traditional unix .so shared libraries.  You have to create DLL's,
	which have a magic (curse?) all their own.  They are considerably
	harder to create than Unix shared libraries, and have some
	extremely annoying limitations.  Poke around on
	http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin for more information
	on creating DLL's.  The cygwin mailing list archives should
	have info too.. You're looking for information on DLL's, dllwrap,
	and dlltool.

						Steve

Steven Jorgensen      steve@khoral.com	    steve@haunt.com