Re: Snapshot and CD compatibility problems

Chris Faylor wrote
>> >Chris Faylor wrote

>> >	Ok, well, I went back and played with the 10/25/1999 snapshot dll,
>> >	and setting nontsec vs ntsec.  If I use nontsec, this mode
>> >	causes the dll to change permissions on files I write out such that
>> >	I can't write to those files again.  If I leave it in ntsec mode and
>> >	add appropriate /etc/passwd entries, it works, but file access is
>> >	slower, presumable because it is looking up permissions.
>> >
>> >	Is there any way to get the snapshot to work under "nontsec" as the
>> >	CD version did?
>>
>> The "nontsec" code on the snapshot is equivalent to the CD.  I just
>> turned off the ntsec on the CD.
>>
>> I don't know what you're referring to when you say that this causes the
>> "DLL to change permissions".  What are the permissions?  Can you give
>> an example?

	Ok, here's what I'm seeing.  With the CD dll, I get the following
	on an ls -l on a file created by this dll:

	% ls -l Toolboxes
	-rw-rw-rw-   1 adminstr None	854 Oct 27 13:33 Toolboxes

	It stays this way after I change the file with some Khoros
	utilities that add and remove toolboxes.

	With the 10/25/1999 dll, both with the ntsec and nontsec set, before
	I touch the file, I get

	%ls -l Toolboxes
	-rwxrwxrwx   1 adminstr None	854 Oct 27 13:33 Toolboxes*

	After writing the file out using the same Khoros utilities as before
	with nontsec, I get:

	%ls -l Toolboxes
	-r--r--r--   1 adminstr None	854 Oct 27 13:33 Toolboxes

	with ntsec and appropriate /etc/passwd entries, I get:
	-rw-rw-rw-   1 adminstr None	854 Oct 27 13:33 Toolboxes

	Note, in all cases with the 10/25/1999 dll, the file permissions
	cannot be changed with chmod.

	In fact the most telling difference is that the NT security pane
	when you look at a file's properties is different.  File created
	under the CD dll, has permissions set to:

	Everyone ... Full Control (All)

	where under the 10/25/1999 dll, under nontsec (after I write it out)
	you get:

	Everyone ... Special Access (R)
	HOBBS\administrator ... Special Access (RWDPO)

	with ntsec set, I get

	Everyone ... Special Access (RW)
	HOBBS\administrator ... Special Access (RWDPO)

	Why doesn't it just set Full Control (All) as it started out?

	If it helps, I can send you my cygcheck output.

>> >	I'm not real clear on what it means when you say that the DLL
>> >	is compatible, but the library and object files may not be, but
>> >	I'm guessing there is something else I need to do when I play
>> >	with snapshots.
>>
>> The DLL is compatible with older executables.  Executables are files
>> whose filename ends in ".exe".
>>
>> Older object files and libraries may not be compatible with the DLL.
>> They may refer to globals that have been moved from libcygwin.a into
>> the DLL itself.
>>
>> That means that you have to recompile them.  Object files are filenames
>> that end in '.o'.  Libraries are filenames which end with '.a'.
>>
>> If you still don't get this, then maybe somebody else on the list can
>> try to explain.  I'm pretty much explained out.
	Ok, I get this now.  This is not my problem then, sorry for
	the hassle.

						Steve

Steven Jorgensen      steve@khoral.com	    steve@haunt.com