Re: SIGINT, bash and non-cygwin apps

Hi Jon,

Try it with one of the newest snapshots.  The newer snapshots were included on
the announced CD and will become the b21 version.  Note: all of the caveats for
upgrading exists.  There are several changes, some of which I mention on my
webpages.

--- Jon Leichter <jon@symas.com> wrote:
> Earnie,
>
> A little while back this year, you wrote the following response:
>
> Re: SIGINT, bash and non-cygwin apps
> To: Sigbjorn Finne <sof@dcs.gla.ac.uk>, cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
> Subject: Re: SIGINT, bash and non-cygwin apps
> From: Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
> Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 06:56:15 -0700 (PDT)
>
> --- Sigbjorn Finne <sof@dcs.gla.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > #include <signal.h>
> > #include <stdio.h>
> > void handler()
> > {
> >     printf("SIGINT received\n");
> >     signal(SIGINT,handler);
> > }
> >
> > int main()
> > {
> >     signal(SIGINT,handler);
> >     for(;;);
> > }
> >
> > sa$ gcc -o main-cygwin tst.c
> > sa$ gcc -o main-mingw  tst.c -mno-cygwin
> >
> > If you run 'main-cygwin' under bash everything is cool, SIGINT is
> > repeatedly caught. If you run `main-mingw' though, Ctrl+C delivers the
> > signal first time around, but then terminates the application (without
> > signalling this to the app, as far as I can gather).
> >
> > Running both versions under cmd.exe works as expected - anyone know
> > what's the root cause & if there's a work-around or fix for this?
>
> What is the value of the CYGWIN environment variable?  You must set notty or
> not specify it at all to communciate properly with non-cygwin programs.  This
> must be done before starting bash.
> ===
> "Earnie Boyd" <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

> ---
>
> There was one more email on this thread from the author, Sigbjorn, where he
> indicated that his CYGWIN variable was not set.
>
> I too see this SAME exact problem. My CYGWIN variable is not set, but for
> kicks and grins I set it to notty. I did this in the Windows NT System
> Control
> Panel (Environment tab) so that it would be set BEFORE BASH ran. I still see
> the same exact problem.
>
> I am using Cygwin B20.1:
>
>   CYGWIN_NT-4.0 BASS 20.1 (0.3/1/1) 1998-12-3 20:39:18 i686 unknown
>
> I little while ago, you told me to upgrade the Jan 15 1999 version of the
> Cygwin1.dll. I had done this for a while, and then it gave me a new problem
> (that I should probably discuss in a different thread of email). Thus, I've
> reverted back to the Dec 12, 1998 version of the DLL.
>
> This problem is quite irritating because what happens is that the signal
> handler handles signal, but once the signal handler returns, the entire
> application exits.
>
> If you run the same (mingw32) binary under a DOS shell instead of a Cygwin
> BASH shell, the problem does not occur.
>
> Jon Leichter
> jon@symas.com
>

> --

=====
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)