RE: B20.1: CR-LF translation not always handled properly

I've tried your suggestions. Setting CYGWIN to nobinmode had no effect.

The way I see it, the fact that pipes and redirection default to binmode is
irrelevant. The important thing is that a program like 'sed' should first be
doing a setmode to text mode on stdin (and stdout for that matter). It does
not appear to be doing this, otherwise I would not be seeing this problem.

'grep', on the other hand, must be doing exactly this, otherwise I'd see ^M
characters in its output, but I don't.

I've written my own test program to verify this. Stdin is in binmode by
default. If I change it to textmode, translationn works.

Like I said, I don't know the complete set of tools that are 'broken'. I only
know that 'sed' and command substitution in 'bash' appear to be broken. There
may be others.

I, too, can mix Mingw32 and Cygwin, and I can build binaries and so forth. The
real problems occurred for me when I was trying to build projects that use
'configure' and 'libtool'. These shell scripts interpret output badly because
of this text mode translation problem. It made it impossible (or at least VERY
difficult) to build the projects that I was working on. As I've said, I needed
to use the alternate environment, the default Mingw32 support provided by
Cygwin (all updated to 2.95, with Ander Norlander's Win32 APIs).

Jon Leichter
jon@symas.com