Re: B20.1 Read or other input command halts bash shell

In a message dated 10/18/99 2:11:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
j.holtman@chello.nl writes:

> I work with B20 Cygnus/Cygwin under W2K.
>
>  Any command requiring input from the console halts the shell. Nothing can
be
> entered
>  or even typing control-C will not interrupt the shell.

I have not seen any such problems on either of 2 installations of W2K, but I
didn't try B20.  I have been using the 19990819 snapshot for 2 months now.  I
would suspect either your version of cygwin is too old or there is something
peculiar about your W2K installation (e.g. keyboard driver not correct--that
was one of the reasons I was unable to install W2K on my latest P III Xeon
box; it has non-standard drivers for both keyboard and video, although it can
run linux at reduced resolution).  That also would be a reason for installing
dual boot and comparing the performance of cygwin under 2 different OS on the
same hardware.  My experience has been that recent cygwin snapshots behaved
much better on a properly working W2K installation than on NT4 or W95.  I'm
sure you've noticed that cygwin is targeting NT4SP3 as primary supported OS,
so I accept the ability to work elsewhere gratefully.

Tim
tprince@computer.org