volume pathnames

Currently, if you do not have a volume mounted, you get the following
behavior

> cd d:/
> pwd
//d

I would like to change that behavior so that is more 'MKS' style:

> cd d:/
> pwd
d:

Is there anything I can set to get this behavior in the current version
of cygwin?  I have not been able to find this in the FAQ or mentioned
earlier in the mailing list archive.

--
Jim Terman
terman@ddi.com