converting diff tool to java

Hi,

I'm working on a Java application that needs diff functionality. I'm
currently looking into porting the c source of diff to a java version. I'd
like to add the ability for the Java version to accept two data streams for
comparison, rather than going through the file system.

Are there any known projects that can help me on this endeavor? Or any
documentation you can point me to to help me better understand the diff
source? What I'm hoping to understand are portions that are not necessary to
port over to java. For example, alot of the stat stuff can be left out.
I'd also like to better understand the actual algorithm that performs the
diff.

I'd like to start off with functionality that just compares data within
streams, and then add the file and directory command line functionity
and options later.

Thanks!

Ronel Sumibcay
Systems Analyst