How to build static lib's

Hello,

I've been using cygwin for about a year and have
always had some problems building static only
versions of libraries such as glib and gtk+.

Here's the configure options I've tried:

./configure --disable-shared --disable-shm --disable-nls --no-recursion

However, I still end up building the .lo & subsequent .la files.
I tried hacking the libtool files but that was useless because it gets
created during the configure process. The problem is that certain lib's
programs fail with messages such as:

gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/gnome-question.png
All fallbacks failed.

WARNING: previous dlopen of
E:\usr\local\lib\libimlib-png.so wasn't correctly performed

Is there a way to make these libs truly static?

I'm using gcc 2.95 and cygwin b20.1. Perhaps this is fixed in a
newer snapshot of the cygwin1.dll but I am waiting for the
complete installation package to be released.

TIA,

Kevin Wright
Aspect Development
Mountain View, CA