Re: Vanishing mounts

--- "Kevin L. McWhirter" <klmcw@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I have been using B20.1 since it came out and have never experienced
> what you are describing.  What I have noticed (do not know if it is
> related but here goes) is this:
> I typically use 3 mounts (text or binary get same effect):
> c:/ as /
> c:/cygnus/.../bin as /bin
> d:/ as /home
>
> No matter what order I define them in the / ends up as the last registry
> entry and the /home ends up being the first.  The registry entries I am
> referring to are:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Cygnus Solutions/CYGWIN.DLL
> setup/b15.0/mounts/00
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Cygnus Solutions/CYGWIN.DLL
> setup/b15.0/mounts/01
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Cygnus Solutions/CYGWIN.DLL
> setup/b15.0/mounts/02
>
> 00 is d:/ as /home
> 02 is c:/ as /
>
> I went as far as to:
> (1) exit all instances of bash
> (2) reboot
> (3) use regedt32 to swap them
> (4) reboot (paranoia)
> (5) use regedt32 to check they were still defined that way
> (6) leave regedt32 open an 00 selected to monitor changes
> (7) run bash
> (8) 00 immediately changes to d:/ as home from c:/ as /
>
> Again,  I have never lost a mount but this behavior seems a little
> bizarre.

Not really bizarre, just sorted decending length of string order.  Therefore /
will always be last.  If in your case you mount a directory /c it would take
the 02 registry spot and / would be to 03.

NOTE: In b21 and the current snapshots there is different coding for path
management so this is subject to change.

=====
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)