Fwd: Re: VxD device drivers

Is there any open source software to create Win9x device drivers?
I would like to try VxDWriter, but it currently just supports VC++.
Is it possible for Mingw32 or Cygwin to support LE file format?
Here is the response from maker of VxDWriter:

1. All the Win98 DDK header files are written specifically for MS VC++
compiler using compiler specific pragma directive. VxDWriter uses the
Win98 DDK header files for define constants, typedefs, and some
enumeration values (service ordinals) for few inline functions. So,
you need to edit all the header files to remove all MS VC++ specific
pragmas so that they can work with Mingw32 compiler. But you may use
VxDWriter's header and library with other compiler, though I have not
tested it.

2. VxD is not in PE format. It is in LE (linear executable) file
format. Only MSVC++ linker, which also comes with Win98 DDK, can
produce a VxD. It would be interesting to see if this linker will
accepts the COFF object files produced by Mingw32 compiler. If not the
only option will be to initially produce a "VxD" with Mingw32 linker
and then convert it to LE file format using a utility, which you need
to write. Note that LE file format is documented by MS, but some
documents are available on Internet.

Initially we had plan to support other compiler with VxDWriter ackage.
But to do that we need to license Win98 DDK from MS to distribute a
modified version of the header files. I doubt how many people would be
interested in it and its commercial viability.