Re: Building native Mingw32 tools

"Michael K. Elwood" <mkelwood@qsicorp.com> writes:
> Mumit, I know you hate answering questions about this stuff. Maybe the
> answer is quick and easy, or perhaps somebody else knows how to fix this.
>
> I have been following the howto posted at
> http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/mingw-cross-howto.txt
> to attempt to build mingw32-hosted tools on a linux (Mandrake 6.0) box. I am
> using the gcc 2.95 source, the 1999-07-31 runtime and your win32 patch for
> gcc 2.95. The linux-x-mingw32 compiler built without a hitch and seems to
> work very nicely. I then built binutils for a mingw32 host -- again no
> problem.
>
> But when I try to build the mingw32 hosted compiler using the linux-x-ming32
> cross compiler, the build croaks when it tries to link collect2. It
> complains that it can't find functions for certain system calls,
> specifically pipe, kill and fork. I know that mingw32 doesn't implement all
> POSIX system calls, but your howto seems to indicate that gcc should build
> properly (i.e. that this should not be a problem). I searched your patch,
> and collect2.c (where the calls are located) isn't touched.
>
> Am I missing something here? Any help greatly appreciated. Please let me
> know if you need more specification information about the configure, build,
> etc.

Something is fishy. The current sources will never build collect2 for Mingw
hosted binaries simply because collect2 will never build.

Please send me the info on the configure lines you've used to build *both*
the cross-compiler and the canadian cross (ie., native by using cross)
compiler.

If you look inside <objdir>/gcc/Makefile (for the canadian cross), you
should see USE_COLLECT2 to be empty (as opposed to `collect2$(exeext)),
which is overridden by t-mingw32 file.

I have a feeling your configure options may be incorrect when building the
canadian cross compiler.

Regards,
Mumit