builtin functions missing

The problem I have is that builtins like 'declare' seem to not exist if I
run a simple script as 'myscript.sh' from within bash, but do exist if I
instead run the script as 'bash myscript.sh'.  The script starts with a line
like "#!/bin/sh" and /bin is a symbolic link to the mounted drive/directory
of cygwin (mount in the DOS sense of the word),
/usr/cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/.

I'm hoping someone can point me to information on how to fix this.  I've not
seen anything concerning this in my searches through the archive and on the
web though that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Thanks,
Brian