Command Live vs. Makefile command

Hi,
	Does anyone have any ideas why the following Bourne shell
"script" works from the command line but when passed into the shell from
a makefile crashes.

[host=PHIL] make target
if [ ! -d nt ] ; then echo NO; fi
! was unexpected at this time.
make: *** [target] Error 0x1

[host=PHIL] cat -t -v -e makefile
$
target : $
^Iif [ ! -d nt ] ; then echo NO; fi$

[host=PHIL] if [ ! -d nt ] ; then echo NO; fi
NO
[host=PHIL]

	This installation was done prior to my arrival so I suspect it
may be some environmental/setup issues but I'm not sure. Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil