Cygwin mounts

I'm starting to explore the possibility of using Cygwin's "mount" facility.
It looks like an elegant solution to several problems.  But there is one
question I haven't seen discussed here: what happens if you already _have_
an existing directory structure with /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local, /etc, etc.,
and things in them?

I have a variety of non-Cygwin Unix tools, in a Unix style directory
hierarchy.  I'd prefer to keep distributions seperate, but it appears that
blending them will be forced, unless I'm missing something basic.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.