Re: undefined references when compiling with -mno-cygwin

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 17:55:17 +1300, Ross Smith <ross.s@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>Mumit Khan wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Jeff Boleng wrote:
>> >
>> > [ on compiling without cygwin dll ]
>> >
>> > I didn't find anything in the FAQ or archives, so if anyone can help please
>> > let me know.
>>
>> You're kidding, right? There're tons of posts regarding mno-cygwin in the
>> archives, and some of these deal with precisely this issue. Please at
>> the very least see my mno-cygwin howto at:
>>   http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/

>He's got a point about the FAQ, though. It just says to use the
>-mno-cygwin flag, with no hint that anything more is required. >That's seriously misleading, and is undoubtedly why so many people >keep asking about this. Why not put a pointer in there?

For instance it would be nice to clarify whether it's necessary to maintain two entirely separate sets of lib*.a for linking with the two styles of build. As I understand it there should be on the cygwin hand

*crt*.o for cygwin, libcygwin.a, (?)

and on the other

*crt*.o for mingw32, libcrtdll.a/libmsvcrt*.a, (?)

It seems, borne out by experience, that lib*.a for Windows DLLs should be interchangeable - since they're only calling the DLL entry points - but any lib that contains statically linkable code calling cygwin-only entry points or dependent on cygwin semantics through conditional compilation obviously won't be.

I wonder which those might be - libgcc.a presumably? Do/should such libs all reside in the appropriate gcc target/version directory?

--
Dirk Fieldhouse                 Logica UK Limited
fieldhouse@logica.com           75 Hampstead Road