Re: how to get a new window for bash?

thank you very much for your response.

>>  when I start the cygwin-bash with the cygnus.bat batch file, I get
>> a cmd.exe-lookalike window where bash is running in.

Earnie> The cygnus.bat file should start the bash executable for you.

Yes of course, it does that always.

>>  After typing `bash -i', I of course get a new sub shell in the
>> same window.
>>
>> Is it possible to make the sub shell run in its own cmd.exe-like
>> window? How to do that?

Earnie> Yes.  Create a shortcut and modify the properties of the
Earnie> shortcut.

Then I can start it by clicking on the shortcut, but not from within a
bash, i.e. I can't start it automatically from a shell-script.

>>  (I know that I can get a new window using rxvt, but that works
>> only on a machine with an X-server.).

Earnie> You wanna bet. ;^) Check the archives for the location of an
Earnie> rxvt that uses the native Windows to operate.

Thank you, this solved my Problem!

In case you wonder why I absolutely wanted to do something like this:

I had  to customize  some pull down  menus of  the tool SNiFF  3.1 (by
Takefive-software).  To  customize such a  pull down menu, one  has to
write a shell script, which will be started in a sub shell from within
the terminal  window of SNiFF.  SNiFF  3.1 runs a  cygwin-bash in it's
terminal-window, but this terminal-window is severely broken.  Command
line editing doesn't  work and especially if the  sub shell needs user
input,  the input isn't  echoed by  the SNiFF  terminal. This  is very
confusing to the users and it is difficult to type correctly.

Therefore I  needed a way to escape  from a shell script  running in a
sub shell running  in the SNiFF terminal emulator  into a new terminal
emulator which is not so broken and can accept user input correctly.

Yours sincerly,

Mike Fabian

--
Mike Fabian   (mike.fabian@it-mannesmann.de)