RE: B20 - Getting substring functionality to work

On Wednesday, June 23, 1999 9:30 AM, Heinz-Jurgen Oertel [SMTP:oe@port.de]
wrote:
> william walsh wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am trying to get substring functionality to work for use within
GNUMake
> > under WindowsNT. cygwin is B20 with the 16Jan99 updated dll.  The bash
> > reference says:
> >
> [snip]
> > What am I doing wrong?  If I get this to work what happens if I use a
> > negative offset that has an absolute value greater than the length of
the
> > string and/or of the length value?
> >
> > Regards,
> > William
> >

> are you shure using 'bash' ?
> at me it works.
You are correct I was using sh instead of bash and the basic functionality
works fine.  I still cannot get the negative offset to work.  My
understanding is a negative offset should count from the end of the string;
it seems to act like a zero offset.

Thanks.