exporting DLLs

Hi All,
    I am not completely clear on making DLLs. I have read the userguide
but am not sure on one point. The user guide discusses creating DLLs for
use within a cygwin program. Will these DLLs also work for other
compilers.

Specifically, can a MS Visual C++ program, or Apple WebObjects, program
utilise a DLL created using cygwin ? It does not need to have unix
system calls in it. I just want to use GNU dev. tools to create some
DLLs that others can use.

Any help, greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
    Alan

--
---
Alan Patterson                    Algorithm Software Engineer