Re: /bin/mail anyone?

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 itz@lbin.com wrote:

> I am looking for a minimalistic user mail agent that will just
> impersonate sendmail for Emacs and the like, ie. just read a message
> on stdin and relay it to a real SMTP listener.  I need this because I
> want to use Emacs as my mailer in the same way as I do on Unix, and
> AFAIK Emacs doesn't know how to speak SMTP itself.  (Actually, there
> are the smtpmail and feedmail packages, but how to integrate them into
> mail mode?)
>
> If nobody has a pointer/hint, I probably want it badly enough that
> I'll eventually write one.
>
> I also toyed with the idea of getting regular sendmail to build, but
> the sendmail distribution contains a file aux.m4 :-(

Others have suggested sendmail already, so I won't plug it. I have access
to AT&T sources, and I see a terrific little mailx implementation that
handles remote smpt servers. Is there a free implementation? This is not
the same mailx that's usually part of Linux distributions, sorry.

If you're using Emacs, why not use the VM package. I don't use it, but
I seem to remember that it supports POP2/3 etc. There must be dozens
of other elisp packages out there.

Emacs will gladly replace me in my kitchen if I let it (which I won't!),
so it must already support remote mailers.

One choice folks interested in a "batch" MUA may consider the new
incarnations of fetchmail, which can forward/tunnel mail through smtp
connection.

Regards,
Mumit