Re: file-system layout in b20.2+ [Re: yikes, what are these?]

   Sender: cygwin-owner@sourceware.cygnus.com
   From: "Robert Campbell" <campbell@calgary.paradigmgeo.com>
   Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:41:05 -0600

   > SNIP SNIP
   >
   > Thanks for the good news. It's never too late to do the right thing ;-)
   >
   > What I would like to see is that Cygwin installs to a virtual root that
   > can be anywhere on the physical disk.
   >
   > I really don't want c:/usr etc on my disk, but would rather have the
   > choice to do the following: install Cygwin b20.2+ to /cygwin/cygwin-b20.2
   > and the installer set that to be '/'. If I want to switch to 20.1, I
   > can simply change the key (via env var or registry, whichever works),
   > and (and perhaps reboot or kill all running Cygwin apps) and go.

   I Disagree (in part).  I would like to see Cygwin installed to
   /cygwin/<version>
   but then have the installer create the appropriate symbolic links or mount
   points to /usr,/bin,/etc et-al such that  /etc is actually a (mount point or
   symbolic link) to /cygwin/<version>/etc.  I would also like to see the
   installer automatically mount / to C:\

An extremely bad idea.  I have all cygwin related stuff on D: to
provide as much separation as possible between the Win and Unix
worlds.  This actually saved my a**e when I could no longer boot and
had to reformat my C: drive and reinstall NT.

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.