Re: odd 'configure' problems

> A good way to think of this is in terms of cross-compiling

Interesting.  I hadn't thought there was that much of a difference (after
all, it's the same hardware, same software, same OS, etc).  I'll keep
this in mind.

> There *is* no caddr_t in neither ANSI nor POSIX. It's something that
> lots of the Unix headers define, but it doesn't have to be there.

Oh.  Figures.  "Core addresses" doesn't sound like POSIX would like it.

> Hey, just be happy that you're getting the right result in this case,
> even if for the wrong reasons ;-)
[snip]
> Here's your problem right there! Cygwin hsa sys/mman.h, but Mingw doesn't.

Oh.  Mingw32 doesn't have mmap()?  Yuck.

So, is it easier to "undo" the Mingw32 overwrites, or is it easier to
just uninstall everything and reinstall Cygwin cleanly?

> I use a cross compiler on Unix to build Mingw binaries

Must be nice.  :-)

I have to be able to hand instructions to a group of people that don't
know or care about compilers, saying, "Install these programs, such as
Cygwin full.exe and the Mingw32 package, and our utilities will then
configure/build out-of-box for us."

So while the tweaking and cross-compiling is fine for my own use (and
is in fact a lot more interesting to me than my real job), I can't
apply it as a final solution.  Nor can I even try it, since I don't
have any other machines to /easily/ test on besides my own.

> Considering the number of messages I've responded to over the past year
> or so (lots sent directly to me), I'm beginning to consider -mno-cygwin
> evil ...

I thought that this was going to become the default, so that the
cygwin1.dll wouldn't be required?

Phil