Screen size and telnet

It looks like cygwin is picking up the size from
the visible window size rather than the screen
buffer size.  This makes sense when you are using
the tools from the local console, but when you
telnet in it is all wrong.

I telnet in and use a 50x132 size telnet window.
Bash (and all the cygnus tools - stty, less, etc)
report the size as 36x80, which is the default visible
window size at the local console.  There appears
to be no way to override this from within the
telnet session:  I can't use stty to change the
window size, I can't use the LINES and COLUMNS
environment variables, etc.

My suggestion would be to either
(1) have as a CYGWIN option whether the screen
buffer size or visible window size is to be used
for the window size under cygwin.

and/or

(2) use the LINES and COLUMNS environment variables
when they are set to override the default settings.

Comments, anyone?

-Paul Weiss
-Arity

P.S. emacs 20.3 has the same problem.