Re: Problem with make

Brown, Kim wrote:

> I have found GNU make to be buggy with some makefiles, especially those
> generated by PERL install packages.  I just use nmake from microsoft without
> problems.  Anyone else have problems with GNU make?

Yes. I am currently trying to isolate a test case to demonstrate a bug
(in 3.77) which takes the form of showing the right set of commands to
execute when you do a

make -n target

without the -n it then tries a build of the dependencies using the
built-in rules, overriding any rules in the Makefile, even if the
dependencies don't need to be re-built.

The main point of interest is that the target must be specified within a
Make variable like

TARGET = me target

DEPENDENCY = son

$(TARGET): $(DEPENDENCY)