Problem with make

Ok, this is a wierd one, so bear with me.

I've been using cygwin to do some java development with a coworker.  For a
while, we were just doing "jikes *.java", and had no problems.  As the
project grew, we split things into packages and added Makefiles to build the
whole project.  The problem that showed up was that it worked for me, but
not for him - he'd get an error message each time that said "jikes -
permission denied".  The same command that make was trying to execute worked
from the command line though... Perplexing.  We switched to javac - worked
fine.

Anyhow, Turns out that in the directory where jikes.exe is, he had a
directory named jikes also - make was trying to execute it, but bash wasn't.

So obviously, this is a bug in make - it must be looking for a program named
jikes before jikes.exe - I guess.  Either that, or it's not checking to make
sure it's a directory when it checks.  I don't mind tracking this one down
and submitting a bug fix, but I thought I ought to find out if it's been
heard of or fixed, etc.

Thanks,
Dave