Re: Using gcc/egcs with MSVC .lib files

> but ld can't build with .obj/.lib.

Correct.  First, ld has problems with some .objs produced by MS tools;
this is an object-level problem so it won't matter if they're in a
library or not.  Second, MS's import libraries don't have the required
hooks in them for ld to properly link them.  Some objects may work
fine; others may not.

I've been working with a developer from Interix to fix the gnu tools
to properly deal with these issues and various other cleanup items,
but it's a *big* project.  Some preliminary changes may be available
soon, but it's not at the top of my current priority list.  Note that
one of the planned changes is to fix COMDAT sections, but it *may*
break compatibility with old C++ libraries (we plan on supporting the
broken way also if we can).