Re: putenv does not put env into win32?

Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.EDU> writes:

> Please try the following untested code (note the explicit adding to win32
> env as well):
>
>   int
>   add_path (const char *newdir)
>   {
>     char newpath[1024];
>   #if __CYGWIN__
>     char scratch[1024];
>   #endif /* __CYGWIN__ */
>     const char *pathvar = getenv ("PATH");
>     sprintf (newpath, "PATH=%s:%s", newdir, pathvar);
>     putenv (newpath);
>     printf ("New path: %s\n", newpath);
>
>   #if __CYGWIN__
>     /* now do the win32 path. */
>     cygwin32_posix_to_win32_path_list (pathvar, scratch);
>     sprintf (newpath, "%s;%s", newdir, scratch);
>     SetEnvironmentVariable ("PATH", newpath);
>     printf ("New path: %s\n", newpath);
>   #endif /* __CYGWIN__ */
>     return 0;
>   }

Ooops. Try this instead:

  #include <windows.h>

  int add_path (const char *newdir)
  {
    char newpath[1024];
  #ifdef __CYGWIN__
    char scratch[1024];
  #endif
    const char *pathvar = getenv ("PATH");
    sprintf (newpath, "PATH=%s:%s", newdir, pathvar);
    putenv (newpath);
    printf ("New path: %s\n", newpath);

  #ifdef __CYGWIN__
    /* now do the win32 path. */
    sprintf (scratch, "%s:%s", newdir, pathvar);
    cygwin32_posix_to_win32_path_list (scratch, newpath);
    SetEnvironmentVariable ("PATH", newpath);
    printf ("New path: %s\n", newpath);
  #endif
    return 0;
  }

and you can now call add_path with Cygwin pathname that will get
translated to win32 pathname correctly:

  add_path ("/usr/local/lib");

Now since dlopen essentially is the same as LoadLibrary (and returns
the same handle), you could just use dlopen and dlclose (which will
call the unload library routine). I don't know the details of who's
calling the unload routine, so I can't judge if that will work for
you.

Regards,
Mumit