Re: DirectX and COM objects

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Magnus Bondesson wrote:

> One possible solution then would be to create a copy of the MS object
> with a layout adapted to gcc. This means rather few changes in the
> but not in all. I suspect that there might be more to an object than
> is seen in the interface declaration, i e there are more things to
> copy.

As far as I can remember, MS vtable layout (the particular method of
"thunking") is patented.

> Questions:
> 1) Any help?

yes. See next.

> 2) Is there or will there be a compiler flag in gcc which brings
>    about the "correct" code for MS COM objects?

Jason Merrill just checked a modified version of COM_INTERFACE patch
that Antonio Mendes had first distributed. Looks like we might very
well have COM capability in C++ in egcs-1.2.

Just don't ask me when 1.2 is going to be released.

Regards,
Mumit