Re: MAKE and MinGW32 problems.

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Brendan Simon wrote:

> I had problems with MAKE compiled for the MinGW32 environment.  MAKE
> wasn't exucuting SHELL commands such as "echo".  I solved this by
> prefixing the command with "c:/command.com /c"
>
> Now I have problems when trying to redirect output to files from within
> make.
>
> eg.
> CFLAGS = -Wall -O2 -D_DEBUG_
> MYSHELL = c:/command.com /c
> ECHO = $(MYSHELL) echo
>
> default :
>     $(ECHO) $(CFLAGS) > cflags.txt
>

> I get an error saying cygwin.dll could not be found.
> process_begin: CreateProcess(C:\BIN\sh.exe, C:/BIN/sh.exe -c
> "c:/command.com /c echo -Wall -O2 -D_DEBUG_ > cflags.txt", ...) failed.
> make (e=1157): One of the library files needed to run this application
> cannot be found.

Make will try to find a /bin/sh, and use it if found in your PATH.

> I don't understand why any program compiled with/for MinGW32 should be
> looking for cygwin.dll.
> I'm pretty sure I have redirected output to files with an older version
> of make (but I think that was compiled with DJGPP).  I might have to dig
> that out or see if DJ has an updated one on his web site.  I'd prefer to
> use a MinGW32 version though as I'm not sure what the future of DJGPP is
> (and I'd rather keep to one distribution).
>
> PS. I am using Win98, GNU MAKE 3.77 (from Mumit's site).

I didn't even know I had a make on my site. Just for kicks, could you try
out any mingw make, from say Jan-Jaaps (URL below) site, and see if it
still causes the problem? Also, you may want to remove /bin from your
PATH and see if that does anything.

     http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/index.html

fyi, I'm now more in favor of using Cygwin tools to build both Cygwin
and Mingw binaries/executables (using -mno-cygwin) to avoid these
hassles. With b20.1 being quite stable on NT, and reasonably stable
on W9x using the 1999-01-16 snapshot on Cygnus site, it's looking
better and better.

My personal preference is to use a Linux box and cross-compile ...

Regards,
Mumit