Re: B20: mv deletes files on error (NT)

At 03:15 PM 3/29/99 -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com> wrote:
>--8<--
>> One person's feature is another's bug!  I guess now I understand what the
>> goal of making this change was.  I have to say, for the number of times that
>> hard links are used (especially in Win 9x), I can't say that I think the
>> change is for the better.  Still, I have no problem with adding functionality
>> to cygwin (in general or in this case specifically) so long as it doesn't
>> remove functionality.  I think if we need to make sure we can use hard links,
>
>> we need to be able to do this without sacrificing something that is
>> functionally useful.  At the very least, if nothing else can be found, we
>> need a switch, even though I hate this idea in general.  Mind you, I'm not
>> against adding the ability to make use of NTFS hard links but why do we need
>> to support this at the expense of existing functionality?  I think this
>> change needs to be revisited.
>--8<--
>
>It's easy enough to modify the code for mv.c.  I know this (moving from one CASE
>to the other case) works on NT but how about 9x?
>
>===
>-                        \\||//
>-------------------o0O0--Earnie--0O0o-------------------
>--                earnie_boyd@yahoo.com               --

Why wouldn't it?  According to Corinna, the change that made the moves work
in the first place was based on the hash calculation for the file's inode.
This shouldn't be any different on NT than 9x.

The ease of modifying one file's code or another's is not my point...

Larry Hall                             lhall@rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                     (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                         (781) 239-1655
Wellesley, MA, 02482-7797              http://www.rfk.com