Reading physical disks.

        Hi, everybody.

I need to read a physiacl sector from a physical disk (say /dev/hda).

Under UNIX/POSIX the way to do it whould be just to "fopen" the "/dev/hda"
and to "fread" from it.  Under CygWin (B20.1 on Win98) this doesn't work.
Indeed /dev/hd* don't exist (not even visible by ls). As to dev/fd*, even if
visible by ls, they are inacessible neither by "fopen", nor from bash prompt
by "dd", "cp", etc.

Under DOS, the way to read a physiacl sector from a physical disk whould
rather be using the function "biosdisk" (interfaced by "bios.h"), but this
one is not present under CygWin at all.

So, is there at least a way to read a physiacl sector from a physical disk
under CygWin gcc, or not???!!!  HELP, I am lost.

Best regards,
                        Serguei.
Serguei DACHIAN
Laboratoire de Statistique et Processus,
Universite du Maine, Av. Olivier Messiaen
72085 Le Mans CEDEX 9, FRANCE
Tel.   : +33 (0)2 43 83 37 18
Fax.   : +33 (0)2 43 83 35 79
E-mail : Serguei.Dachian@univ-lemans.fr