RE: ÆANNÅ Cygwin DEV survey

Re text/binary:

NOTEPAD is not a text editor. It is a bug. NOTEPAD compatibility
is not a valid concern. Seriously!

Why hang on to ancient conventions such as the distinction between
binary and text mode?

It is useless anyway. It _used_ to be like that if a file was 'text',
it was ASCII (aka ISO 646) text, and could be transmitted safely through
7-bit channels.

That was long ago. Most of my 'text' files use 8-bit or 16-bit character
sets, and you have to know beforehand, 'cause the file itself doesn't
say
what character set is used. I don't want any automatic conversion of any
characters, and I most certainly don't want truncation at first ^Z.

Why should I want to open a file in 'text' mode? What if I run a cygwin
application to write a 'text' file that is part of a MacOS application?
I need three different record separators, and I can't infer which to use
just from what OS the application is running on. BTW, this is an actual
example of what I use cygwin tools for.

Kind regards

Peter Ring.