Re: Total lack of accurate documentation!

On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 02:33:44PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
>>     Does anyone know if this is due to rapid changes in the product, or
>> slow documentation people?
>
>The only one writing documentation at the moment is ME.  Geoff helped
>for a while, but he's not in our group any more.  We have no tech
>writers assigned to us, except for to pretty-up what little we have
>for releases.
>
>At the moment, I'm just too busy to work on the documentation.  If you
>want more docs, write them and send them in!

Actually Pierre Humblet has also contributed much to the documentation.
In fact, he's taken the documentation through a rewrite, recently.

DJ does have the ultimate responsibility for documentation, though,
just like Geoff did before.

>> I have tried to use the search feature to search the past mails, but
>> their search engine is broke due to a mount problem it looks like.
>
>I've got a search engine at http://www.delorie.com/archives/ for
>messages since we moved to sourceware, which was quite recent.  Your
>best bet at the moment is to ask on the list, like you did.

As I stated recently on the list (not that anyone can read this since the
search engine is broken), we're having problems with the archives due
to the recent mailing list software changeover.  Hopefully this will be
fixed soon but we have to rely on the Cygnus system administrators for this
and they're quite busy.

>>     1) If I have /tmp mounted on d:\temp, and can do cd /tmp, why does
>> /tmp not show up when I
>>          do  a ls -la / ?
>
>Create a /tmp directory on your / drive and it will.  Unix requires
>this also.  It's usually a good idea to create such directories.

And, this is why mount warns you when you attempt to do a
'mount d:/temp /tmp' if /tmp doesn't exist.

cgf