Re: newbie question

Try this, from the bash man (the default inputrc file is ~/.inputrc )

   Readline Variables
       Readline  has  variables  that can be used to further cus-
       tomize its behavior.  A variable may be set in the inputrc
       file with a statement of the form

              set variable-name value

       Except where noted, readline variables can take the values
       On or Off.  The variables and their default values are:

       bell-style (audible)
              Controls what happens when readline wants  to  ring
              the  terminal bell.  If set to none, readline never
              rings the bell.  If set to visible, readline uses a
              visible  bell if one is available.  If set to audi-
              ble, readline attempts to ring the terminal's bell.