Re: gdb failure

Christopher Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> writes:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 12:42:45AM -0600, Mumit Khan wrote:
> >Let me apologize on behalf of all who support win32 for the lack of
> >support in gdb for debugging template instantiations. We need to get
> >this fixed, but nobody has volunteered yet.
>
> Is this a win32 bug or just a generic gdb problem?  This is the first
> that I can recall hearing about this problem.

Actually, there've been a noises about this, but not that much. It was
a combination bug, in egcs debugging output (almost fixed) and something
in gdb (don't have a clue, and it may very well be another egcs stabs bug).

Here's a reference bug report from Xiaomao Xiao <xiao@cmold.com>:
  http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1998-Oct/0232.html

Good news is that major problem has been fixed in egcs-1.1.2, but there's
still a few nits I just can't seem to track down. With egcs-1.1.2, you
can step into template instances just fine, but just don't try to step
into a template instance in a library stripped of debugging info.
Normally, gdb is smart enough to just step "over" these, but the cygwin
version tends to say something like "Cannot access memory at address
0x2000000". I believe egcs-1.1.2 solution will be sufficient for 90%
of the time.

Regards,
Mumit