Re: Pthreads in cygwin

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 11:42:47AM +0100, Christian Brunschen wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Stipe Tolj wrote:
>
>> > I was wondering how I would go about using pthreads in cygwin? The b20.1
>> > release does not appear to support them, but more recent snapshots do
>> > contain what looks like pthreads support.
>>
>> That's right. Recent snapshots support the --enable-threadsafe for the
>> configure process. The build cygwin1.dll and dependend libs will implement
>> some pthread_* functions as usually available within the libpthread.a
>> library (i.e. MIT's pthread) on other systems.
>>
>> As Geoffrey and other from Cygnus have stated the pthread functions within
>> the latest snapshots are *very expertimental* and may not work at all.
>
>Ah, great :)
>
>Thanks for your help!
>

>> I have tried to compile some simple example programs using pthread
>> functions. They do build, but crash with a segmentation fault error on a
>> Win98 box.
>
>I'll just wait a while longer before trying to use it, then.

Actually, since this is a free software project, I was kinda hoping that
people might be willing to provide fixes for any problems they are
running across.  Waiting for things to improve will probably work but
volunteers could speed this along.

Otherwise, if anyone wants to send *detailed* information on problems I
can at least archive it until we have time to work on pthreads again.
Detailed information would be, at a minimum, a stack dump from the
SIGSEGV, minimal source code to reproduce the problem, and instructions
for reproducing the problem.

cgf