text/binary? bash errors. Newbie problem.

I'm having touble running configure for cvs. After a little isolation
I discovered that sh is clearly not reading the same file that I see
with cat. I'm getting errors

: not found

on blank lines in the script. (bash gives different but similar
errors.) I am having other problems also but this is the most obvious
symptom.

I'm obviously missing something basic in my setup but can't find
it. It doesn't help that the list archive search engine is down and
was all weekend.

I'm running B20.1 (reinstalled it yesterday from scratch) with all
disks binary mounted and CYGWIN=tty binmode.

Any pointers appreciated.

Steve Morris
sjm@judgement.com